Image Map

Monday, September 15, 2014

Summer Vacation Series: Day 1- Heidelberg, Germany

So after that crazy flight we had, we were in Germany! It didn't seem real that we stepped onto a plane in the US, and were now exiting the plane in Germany. Well, that is until I saw all the signs in the airport were in German. And everyone around us was speaking German. And then when we walked outside to the car, the parking lot was super cramped and the cars were all European compact cars. That's when it hit me, Holy crap! We're in GERMANY! 

Travis' uncle and aunt, Greg and Kaylauna, were on the same flight as us coming into Germany. We were ready to party!

We didn't waste any time. Travis' mom picked us up and we went to her house to wait for Travis' dad to join us. Hailey and I took a quick nap. But when Travis' dad got there, BOOM time to go!

We went to Heidelberg. It was a cute little German town with a HUGE castle overlooking it. 

We rode a tram up to the castle. 


The castle was massive! 
 
 Part of it burned down in a fire.

And another part was bombed.
It was full of such intricate detail. Pictures don't even do it justice. 


  



We had a top-of-the-line tour guide (aka Travis' dad). He knew all the interesting things about the castle.


Inside the castle, there were the biggest wine barrels I have ever seen!!


We went to the top of the castle. The view was spectacular!



 I LOVED seeing Hailey with her Bammy and Pop Pop. It made my heart melt.

We walked around the grounds for a bit and then headed back down to the city.



It was 300 steps to get back down.

Once we were back down, we got some gelato and enjoyed spending time walking around for a bit.
We left Heidelberg and I was in awe.

Heidelberg is a beautiful little town. I was amazed by its history and charm.
I was already seeing and experiencing things I had never even dreamed of! And it was only the first day! It didn't take long for me to learn that Germany is full of history and charm.

No comments:

Post a Comment