Image Map

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

A Walk in the Park



A couple weeks ago, Travis was on Spring Break and the weather was nice. We went on a walk at the park with our beautiful baby, crazy mutt of a dog, and super awesome stroller a few times that week. Each day we walked for about 30-40 minutes. I couldn't believe how out of shape I was. I'm super excited to start running again, in probably about a month.

On one of those warm, sunny days that we decided to take a walk on, something happened that I haven't forgotten. And Travis hasn't either. We still laugh about it today. Let me tell you about it.

I'll start by saying I have many years of experience running on a running path. If I was to rank myself beginner, proficient, or advanced at running on a running path, I'd proudly proclaim advanced. I've been running since 7th grade. I know that you stick to the right and pass on the left, smile at people passing you, and say “on your right (or left)” when approaching someone that you need to pass. I know my running path etiquette. But I haven't ran since being pregnant. I guess taking a 10 month leave of absence from using the running path makes all your running path skills diminish. 

We were walking along when I looked ahead and noticed something I didn't know how to handle. An older gentleman was running in teeny, tiny shorts with no shirt. He was fairly hairy and looked like he had 70 years worth of beer stored in his gut. Back in the day, I would have smiled politely as he passed by. But for some reason on this day, I relapsed. As he got closer, my eyes started doing the “find something dance”. They were looking every which way trying to find something to focus on other than Hairy Henry approaching. He continued to get closer as I realized how obvious I was in trying to avoid looking at him. I didn't want him to think I was uncomfortable with his appearance. So my next decision was to just look at him straight in the eye and try to smile. So I tried. He was looking straight ahead, so when I was looking at him, waiting to make eye contact, I came to realize that it looked like I was staring. Umm I don't want to stare at the guy! He was getting really close now. I could feel my heart beating in my ears. I decided to turn to Travis and pretend to be engrossed in an amazing conversation that makes it impossible for me to look anywhere else besides directly at my confused husband. As Hairy Henry passed, I babbled to Travis like an idiot. I don't even remember what I said. It was total nonsense. It left Travis looking at me like this:
A last minute decision I made was to face my fears and offer a quick wave and a smile at the guy. He didn't notice. Dang it! Super awkward level. After he passed, Travis realized what happened and what I was trying to do and laughed for probably ten minutes. Hairy Henry didn't even look my way. He didn't notice the dilemma I was having. I need to get on the running path more often and practice my etiquette. Or, an even easier solution is for Hairy Henry to wear a shirt. Yeah. I like that one.

1 comment:

  1. Very funny Lindsay. I thought I was the only one who's mind worked like that.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete