Image Map

Thursday, February 5, 2015

Back in 2010: Part 5- Vacationing in Virginia

We went our separate ways after meeting for the Disney World vacation. I remember my siblings (and mom) singing, "If you like it then you shoulda put a ring on it" frequently when Travis was around. Poor guy. But I loved him hanging out and getting to know my family better. 

When we got back to Rexburg and Virginia, we continued our busy lives. Travis continued working his tail off and I kept my nose buried in books. We managed to survive the summer apart, and the semester ended. August finally came. 

Travis' family flew me out to Virginia to meet them. Travis was working when my flight landed, so his dad picked me up. That could have been awkward, since it was the first time I was meeting him, but I immediately loved him. He's super great. I remember the humidity hitting me like a wall when I walked out of the airport. I could almost grab a handful of it, it was so thick. Definitely something I wasn't used to.

Travis' dad drove me back to their house. I met Travis' mom, and then Travis came home from work not too much later. I also met Travis' younger brother, Tate. Travis' sister, Tana, and her husband also met us at the house. 

We drove to Smith Mountain Lake where we stayed for a week. We spent every day wakeboarding and hanging out. It was glorious! And the water was soooo warm! I was NOT used to warm water. But I guess that's what you get on the east coast.

Travis is so hott...
And check Travis' dad out!

I barely learned how to wakeboard a couple weeks before the trip. Travis joked that wakeboarding was the test to be accepted into their family. Which made an already nervous person, even more nervous. So I had my friend's dad teach me the basics before I went with Travis' family. That helped a bit, Travis' family was impressed with how fast I was picking it up. Yessss! 
  
 Butttt things took a turn and I had a pretty bad wipe out.
 I remember catching an edge, falling forward, and then popping up out of the water. I saw blood around me in the water and I couldn't function. I just floated there, frozen. Then, like a cheesy, romantic movie, Travis dove into the water to save me. He swam over and pulled me to the boat. Travis' dad used his own shirt off his back to put on my head. Talk about a bonding experience.
 Travis' uncle and family barely got to the lake and were pulling their boat out to meet us. We met them at the dock and explained that I probably needed stitches. Travis' uncle had a dental practice in town, so he, Travis, and I drove out there to fix me up. Travis' uncle did a mighty fine job sewing me up. 
I have a scar, but it's not a bad one. I actually love the scar because I love the memory.
So the rest of the time at the lake, I was a spectator (which I didn't mind). I loved watching Travis in the water. He was such a showoff. I thought for sure Travis would be proposing at the lake. What better location could there be? Am I right or am I right? But I was wrong.

After a week at the lake, we headed back to Travis' parents house. We spent another week there, checking out sites in D.C. and hanging out.





 I loved getting to know Travis' goofy brother Tate. We hit it off, and I can't wait to see him when he gets back from his mission in August.
 My brother, Cameron, was actually serving his mission in the mission Travis' parents were in. Sooo... with permission from his mission president, we met for lunch! It was pretty awesome!! 
 We ate at a yummy pizza place.
And then we had to say our goodbyes. Cameron had less than two months until he came home, so it wasn't goodbye for long.
What an adventurous trip so far! Virginia was beautiful, and so many memories were already made! But the best is yet to come. Little did I know, Travis had a plan up his sleeve.

Up next, the crazy engagement story!

No comments:

Post a Comment