Image Map

Monday, December 8, 2014

Back in 2010: Part 2- Our First Date

After the night Travis and I first met, we remained friends for a couple months. We'd see each other once or twice a week, depending on how often my roommates and I wanted to hang out with them. Travis always made me so nervous. I remember one time we went to his apartment and I was feeling brave, so I sat right next to him. He was eating a huge bag of those gummy watermelon candies and offered to share with me. I gladly accepted (even though I don't really like them). As we were sitting next to each other talking, I was so nervous. Gosh, he's so handsome! 

I don't remember what we were talking about. I do remember that all of a sudden the bag of candy was gone. It had tons in it when we first started talking. And somehow the bag had moved to my lap. I inhaled that whole bag! How embarrassing. Travis still teases me about it to this day!

We hung out often enough for me to recognize that I really like Travis. There was something about him (in addition to his good looks) that drew me to him. 

One time we all got a big group together and went to Denny's really late at night. I'm pretty sure it was past curfew. I sat next to Travis and Brian. The first picture of Travis and I together was taken that night.
Cute huh?
Day by day I realized I really liked this boy. But I was pretty sure there was no way he felt the same. When he finally asked me out, I was elated and in shock.

I remember exactly where I was sitting. On the couch, watching American Idol with my roommates. I had barely got his number from Melissa and texted him a few days earlier. So when he called, I saw his name pop up on my phone. I screamed like a little school girl. What happened next was not human. With phone in hand, I leaped off the couch to the TV. I swear I flew all the way from the couch to the TV and turned it off. Keep in mind I was screaming the whole time until I answered casually, "Hello?". Imagine my roommates faces, looking at me sitting in front of the TV.

Travis: Hi Lindsay, how are you?
Me: Goo... (Travis cuts me off before I could finish) He was so nervous!
Travis: Great! I was wondering if you would want to go on a date with me this weekend.

My heart sank because I was going to Utah with my cousin that weekend. Ugghhh. So I told him I was leaving Friday afternoon and would be out of town until Sunday night.

Travis: Okayyyy. How about Thursday night? I know it's a school night, but we won't be out too late. Freaking heck yes! 
Me: (calmly) Sure. That will work. 

We agreed on a time and hung up.

This conversation is ingrained into my brain. First, because Travis was so nervous he didn't even let me speak. So cute! Second, Travis was so disappointed I'd be out of town for the weekend that he asked me on a date for the middle of a school week. Eeeeek!

When I told my roommates about the conversation, everyone was screaming together. I wonder what our neighbors were thinking. 

*******************************************

Thursday finally came. I remember feeling SO NERVOUS! Travis opened all the doors for me and treated me like royalty (He still does). We rode in his red jeep and I thought it was such a manly, sexy car. We went to Gringo's for dinner (a Mexican restaurant in town). Seriously I was too nervous to even think for myself. I just ordered "whatever he's having". I don't think Travis noticed, since he talked the whole time. I'd answer questions when he asked them, but he mostly led the conversation. I didn't mind, of course, since my brain had turned to goo when he knocked on my door. I'm glad I was learning so much more about my not-so-quiet-anymore friend. 

After Gringo's we went to Guitar's Unplugged, a talent show on campus. I love music. So I loved the show. It was great! 

After the show ended, it was about 10 pm. Curfew wasn't until midnight, so I wondered what the next two hours would bring. Then he pulled into my complex's parking lot. Whaaaat?

He then told me that he teaches an early morning cycling class on campus and needed to go to bed. Again, whaaaat? He invited me to come to his class, but I just laughed. Exercising? Ick. He walked me to my door and said goodnight.

That was it. I remember being disappointed, thinking I failed or something since he dropped me off so early. My roommates even asked me what happened and why I was already home. This was not the end of Travis and Lindsay. I decided to go to his cycling class in the morning. I was going to fight for this (sexy sexy) man!

My awesome roommate, Rebekah, agreed to go with me. I was so grateful! He taught the class at stinkin 6 in the morning! Holy crap. I don't even know how I made it to his class. I was a couple minutes late, so he had already started when I walked in. I walked in and saw a group of GIRLS being taught by Travis. Okay, seriously? When Travis saw me, he was so surprised. And then a huge smile formed on his face. Awww be still my heart! I pretty much faked my way through his class. Somehow it still kicked my butt though. Travis was a hardcore teacher. A machine. At the end of class, Travis immediately came over to me. He was glad to see me there and said I did great.

So I left town with my cousin being on Cloud Nine. I was so glad I went to his class. I loved his reaction from seeing me there. I had a busy weekend in Utah with family and then drove back on Sunday night. My cousin Kim was driving. All of a sudden Travis called. Ahhhhh!

He told me a bunch of other people that served in Indonesia were getting together for a big dinner that night and wanted to know if I'd be back in time to go with him. Even though we were probably too far away, I told him I might be able to make it. My cousin Kim is the best and drove as quick as she could. I was about twenty minutes late. Travis texted me the address and Kim dropped me off, then took my stuff to my apartment. Told you she's the best!

Travis pretty much showed me off that night. It was the best feeling ever. He introduced me to everyone and I loved spending time with him. I tried some authentic Indonesian food and heard mission stories. It was fantastic. And I was hooked. I needed to keep this boy in my life.

Next up, first kiss and rest of semester.


1 comment:

  1. Haha such a great story :) I can totally imagine you screaming your head off when he called.

    ReplyDelete