Image Map

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

We Do It At Nite

No no no! It's not what you think. Ya know how Travis and I have been running a lot? Well we decided to run a local 5k (3.10685596 miles). We've been running 3 miles like butter, so we thought it was a fun idea. My sister Savannah decided to join us. Let me tell you a story about this girl.

She's a volleyball player. And a pretty good one too! She is a lover of exercising and workin her abs. So every once and a while she wants to join us when we run. The other day we were headed out to run 4 miles. And that's a lot for me. She asked if she could come and of course we say yes. I warned her that 4 miles is harder than 3, which was a lot for her. She said she'd like to try. She said she'd turn around early if she felt she needed to.

So we get going and she's chuggin along. She talked the whole time. The WHOLE TIME! Four miles of hearing Savannah's high school stories. (Which I don't mind, it was just insane she was handling it so well.) I was huffin and puffin and she was talkin away like nobody's business. So I learned not to doubt that girl. She can do anything.

Anyways, we did a 5k last Friday. It was called the Glow Run and the proceeds went to the American Cancer Society. Good cause right? When you registered, you got a glowstick bracelet and necklace. And we also bought some from the dollar store. The race was at night, so it was pretty cool. We were pretty decked out. The t-shirts said 'Glow Run 5k- We Do It At Nite'. I thought it was cute, but some people didn't. So you decide. And I don't know why they spelled night like that. It kinda annoys me, but whatever. haha.
 The person that planned the event said she expected only 100 to 150 people. There ended up being over 450. So they were super unprepared, but it's okay. The race started at 9:00 pm. So it was getting dark. In cross-country, when I was in middle school and high school, I hated races. They made me so nervous. But when I'm racing, I get in this "zone". All I wanna do is pass everyone around me. So when this race started, we started at a pretty good pace. We were passing people, but people were passing us too. At the halfway point, Travis took off. Savannah and I kept going strong and nobody passed us after the halfway. We passed a ton of people. We were seriously cruising and I was surprised. Travis ended up finishing at 24:04. And I finished at 25:33, and Savannah at 26:23. This summer I've been running 3 miles at 28-30 minutes. So I was pretty proud of Travis, Savannah, and me.

BEFORE

AFTER
Does Travis look any different? Nope. He doesn't sweat from his chest up, so he always looks so gorgeous next to my oompa loompa faced self. haha.

2 comments:

  1. Great job linds! Running is hard! My family does one in Island Park every summer and I usually walk/run, but this year I'm gonna try to run the whooooollle thing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha the whole time I was reading this I was thinking "she spelled night wrong..." and it was bothering me! We must think alike.

    ReplyDelete